Saturday, August 30, 2008

Busy Week

*Sigh*
I feel like I'm going to be eternally neglecting my readers here...

OK. The truth is, on days J is home, we are REALLY busy. And the days he's not home, I am really busy, as Beans is getting more mobile and more strong-headed as the days progress. That's a fun combo with morning sickness, let me tell ya.

So... this past week in review:
J worked crazy amounts of overtime and finally made an appearance at home on Tuesday. Since Beans was too excited to sleep (and too grumpy to stay awake), we made a nice drive up the Alaskan Hwy... maybe about 60 or 70 miles. The drive is pretty, especially since the leaves are beginning to change color. The trip was a palette of oranges and yellows, with the occasional deep red shades of the fall fire weed stems and leaves. Most of the flowers are gone, and what's left looks like it's dried on the stem. The cow parsnip (NOT Queen Anne's Lace, as I had hoped it was) is beautiful dried, and adds a nice brown to the scenery.
Beans got a sufficient nap, we had a nice drive, and returned home to get domestic again.

So, I hope my boring tales of my mundane life doesn't deter you from reading. I love the mundane... there is a peacefulness in cleaning the house, doing the laundry, hanging the diapers on the line, and baking bread. Or sourdough pizza crust, as we did on Tuesday, anyway.

A lesson to any future bread bakers out there: sourdough has it's own yeast, ya know. So, if you add it to your pizza dough AND your usual amount of yeast to your recipe, you will come home with your bread machine close to overflowing. It made LOTS of pizza, so we shared the bounty with our neighbors, and it was nice to have company again.
(M- I miss you guys like crazy! Counting down the days until our next trip to town!)

I digress...
Wednesday we did go into Delta Junction for the Sullivan Roadhouse Garden Soup. Lots of local bakers and soup makers brought in their tasty treats. Soups of any and all varieties. Since for some strange reason I have been craving potato soup, I was relieved to find a huge steaming crock pot full of it, and helped myself to a good portion, along with some cheese bread. J was a little more adventurous, tasting halibut chowder, some sort of sausage soup, and a few others. Beans and I devoured out potato soup and were lucky enough to meet the chef, who was kind enough to share her recipe with me.
MMMMM..... and now, I am craving potato soup in homemade sourdough bread bowls. Seems to me that I know what's for dinner tonight!

Thursday was another drive up the Alaskan Hwy, since we wanted to stop in at Delta Meats.
Um, a meat processing plant is a REALLY bad place for a pregnant chick in her 1st trimester. I should have sent J in. We left empty-handed because no matter how much I really did want to try things like Yak or Buffalo meat sticks, I couldn't quell the morning sickness enough to get past the butchering sounds and smells.
But other than that, it was a pretty cool place.
*grin*

Friday, J headed back off to work. And in all honesty, Beans and I have been doing a lot of lounging around this weekend. Morning sickness is um, killing me.
You know, I'm not much for throwing up. Don't care for it, don't like to do it. Avoid barfing at all costs.
That's really hard to do when you are pregnant.
And I thought morning sickness with Beans was bad. Not sure if it's ACTUALLY worse with this one, but I will say this:
There's something about your toddler clutching your pant leg as you hurl yet another meal into the porcelain. Especially if your toddler is standing there CACKLING, or chanting, "Mommy, POOP!" as you send breakfast down the drain.

And if morning sickness weren't bad enough, the emotional toll of pregnancy is awful. I should add a disclaimer here. My husband would probably say that I'm moody enough when I'm NOT pregnant. Pregnancy really does seem to turn me into the Wicked Witch of the West. J is too kind to admit this, and just smiles kindly and says, "Baby, No! You're not mean! You're pregnant." It's sweet of him, especially when he says this after I've just told him that he's the world's worst laundry person ever, when he was just trying to help and accidentally put my wool pants (the only pair that actually fit me right now) into the dryer.
Oh, and I cry about EVERYTHING.
You think I'm kidding?
I was crying over a story that was read on Reading Rainbow!
(Um, it WAS a very touching story, but probably didn't warrant SOBBING.)
And for the record, Beans laughed at me the whole time I was crying.
Which DID kind of make me feel a little better.
*sniff*
Yep. And I cried when J offered to go to Fairbanks to buy me a new pair of wool stretch pants, since he (only slightly) shrank the pair that ended up in the dryer.
And when he brought home a box of Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop tarts for me when my normal dinner made me barf and I swore that pop tarts cure morning sickness.
(Oh please, sugar and food police, go away! I had to eat SOMETHING I could hold down!)

Yep.... who needs EPT or Clearblue Easy. My emotions have confirmed that this pregnancy is in full effect.


So....
I'm sorry to report mostly only the mundane this week, but my week has pretty much consisted of a couple of drives and, well... barfing. While Beans laughs in the background.

Not sure what's on the agenda this week, but maybe I'll be able to come up with something exciting to report about in my next entry.

Until then,
Happy Moose Trails!

4 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

I'm sorry about your morning sickness. I had it for the entire 9 months I was pregnant with my firstborn. Thank goodness it wasn't every single morning as the pregnancy progressed, but still.... smelling Thanksgiving was AWFUL!

Feel better soon. :)

LynnMN said...

OMGosh, you poor thing! I had 'all day' sickness with my second child for 6 straight months, yep, could throw up just like that, bam, there it goes! I feel for you! At least you are still getting out of the house, and what better thing to do then get out and enjoy your awesome surroundings! The soup tasting sure sounded fun, all the different types! Hope you are feeling better soon! Its fun to read your posts and to be able to follow along with your pregnancy and little Beans!!

Tammy Kauffman said...

Sorry about the morning sickness. It will get better. I never really experienced it with either of my kids. I'm glad you enjoyed the soup. One of my favorite places in Fairbanks is the Chowder House off the Steese Highway near Kinkos. Can't remember the name of the street but it's directly behind a dentist office that is on the Steese. You should try it. The Halibut Chowder is great and so it the Salmon Chowder. They also serve full and half sandwiches. It's a great place, very busy at lunch time. Take care and I check on you almost everyday. I miss Alaska sooo much. I'm not too fond of Kentucky and can't wait to move back home.

Hayley said...

Man, Reading Rainbow can cause me to tear up with our without a baby growing in my body. But, I remember those very emotional days during pregnancy. Your husband sounds really sweet by the way.

Is it weird that I am now going back in time and commenting on things that happened to you a year or so ago? If so, sorry....I am just eager to learn about Alaska and Delta Junction in particular...and I am being very entertained along my way through your blog!

Also, I have no idea how these blogging comments work. No idea at all if you will actually see any of this.
Hayley